Tracking Tips for Carriers
As technology evolves in every area of business and life, more information and faster communication are becoming less of a want and more of a need. For carriers, that evolution means visibility is now a standard practice when it comes to moving freight.
With Carrier 360, location updates are simple and streamlined – all you have to do is use the mobile app or connect an ELD. By automating location updates, carriers have the opportunity to book loads that require tracking compliance – all at no extra cost. It also lightens the workload for dispatchers and gives facilities more insight into upcoming arrivals. From pickup to delivery, more information means a better experience for everyone.
Tracking with the Carrier 360 mobile app
The easiest and fastest way to track a load is with the Carrier 360 mobile app. Have drivers download the app from the App Store or Google Play – no extra equipment or technology needed. They can start tracking loads immediately without waiting for ELD integration.
To track with the Carrier 360 mobile app:
- After booking a load, assign it to a driver
- Select “Carrier 360 by J.B. Hunt” in the tracking method pop-up
- Ensure the driver has the Carrier 360 app open or running in the background from pickup to delivery*
When arriving and departing a facility, a notification will prompt a driver to perform a check call. Check calls are not automated when tracking with the Carrier 360 mobile app.
Tracking with ELD or API
Carrier 360 loads can also be tracked using a connected ELD or API. This method also automates the arrival check call when the facility geofence is crossed. Loaded and unloaded check calls must be completed manually.
To track a load using ELD or API:
- In the Profile tab in Carrier 360, find Tracking Options and click “Add ELD Provider”
- Complete the ELD onboarding form by finding your ELD provider and completing the form (For API, select “no” when asked if you would like to join the network via an ELD and continue with the survey.)
- After submitting the form, you may contact your ELD provider directly to expedite the onboarding process
- You will receive a notification when your ELD is connected to your Carrier 360 account
- When assigning a load, select the ELD option and enter or select the appropriate Tractor Number
- Loads will not show as “in transit” until a driver has been assigned and tracking is enabled
- Owner/operators must assign themselves as a driver to a load to initiate tracking (Stay tuned for future updates to improve this process!)
- Check the Tracking Status of all current loads by clicking “My Loads” and navigating to the In Transit tab
- Tracking is one of several metrics measured in My Performance in Carrier 360. Find your tracking stats under “App Usage & Automation” in the My Performance tab.
As shippers move toward increased visibility, Carrier 360 provides the tools needed to help drivers and carrier companies succeed.
Visit your profile in Carrier 360 to fill out the ELD onboarding form and connect an ELD or API to your Carrier 360 account. Make sure you and your drivers download the Carrier 360 mobile app from the App Store or Google Play.
For assistance on setting up tracking or additional questions, email the Strategic Carrier Services team or call 833-211-4392, ext. 12281.