Rail Gate Closures and Restrictions Disrupt Intermodal Service
The rail network continues to recover from recent service interruptions and ongoing car imbalances. As a result of progress in Southern California, BNSF has lifted gate restrictions at its San Bernardino and Barstow ramps. Also, effective Saturday, March 27, NS will reopen gates to and from Chicago 63rd Street with significant restrictions. Below is a summary of all rail gate closures and restrictions currently impacting J.B. Hunt and its customers. These restrictions are expected to limit J.B. Hunt’s ability to pick up shipments through at least Monday, March 29.
All Standard traffic will be impacted in these lanes:
- BNSF Los Angeles Hobart and Commerce, CA to all destinations – Ingates restricted
- NS Chicago 47th Street, IL to all destinations – Ingates restricted
- All NS origin points to Chicago 47th Street, IL – Ingates restricted
- NS Chicago 63rd Street, IL to all destinations – Ingates will reopen Saturday, March 27, with significant restrictions
- All NS origin points to Chicago 63rd Street, IL to all destinations – Ingates will reopen Saturday, March 27, with significant restrictions
Considering the ongoing rail velocity slowdown, equipment imbalances, and gate restrictions, J.B. Hunt expects container availability will remain extremely constrained throughout the country for the next two weeks. With a vast network of service offerings, J.B. Hunt can provide highway solutions to mitigate these intermodal disruptions. A representative will communicate load specific delays along with alternative routing options.
J.B. Hunt will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as they become available. Customer service is extremely important to J.B. Hunt, and we apologize for the inconvenience these service interruptions have caused.