Rail Gate Closures and Restrictions Disrupt Intermodal Service 031521
The rail network continues to recover from the recent service interruptions and resulting car imbalances. Consequently, J.B. Hunt has received several new gate closure and restriction updates. Effective Friday, March 12, BNSF gates at Atlanta/Fairburn, GA reopened without restrictions. Also, effective Friday, March 12, NS gates to and from Jacksonville, FL reopened with restrictions. Unfortunately, effective Tuesday, March 16, the NS will implement new gate restrictions to and from its Chicago/47th Street facility after a setback in ramp productivity.
As the railroads work through the volume surges and rail car imbalances caused by the recent service interruptions, gate restrictions are necessary to expedite the recovery and avoid more severe ramp congestion. Below is a summary of all rail gate restrictions currently impacting J.B. Hunt and its customers. These restrictions are expected to limit J.B. Hunt’s ability to pick up shipments through at least Monday, March 22.
All Standard traffic will be impacted in these lanes:
- BNSF Los Angeles, CA (Hobart and Commerce) to all destinations – Ingates restricted
- NS Jacksonville, FL to Chicago/Landers, IL – Ingates restricted
- NS Chicago/Landers, IL; Kansas City, MO; and St. Louis, MO to Jacksonville, FL – Ingates restricted
- NS Chicago/Calumet, IL to all destinations – Ingates restricted
- NS Chicago/47th Street, IL to all destinations – Ingates restricted
- All NS origins points to Chicago/47th Street, IL – Ingates restricted
With a vast network of service offerings, J.B. Hunt can provide highway solutions to mitigate these intermodal disruptions. A representative will communicate load specific delays along with alternative routing options.
J.B. Hunt will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as they become available. Customer service is extremely important to J.B. Hunt, and we apologize for the inconvenience these service interruptions have caused.