Ramp Congestion Disrupts Intermodal Service 021221
Ramp Congestion Disrupts Intermodal Service February 12, 2021 Severe ramp congestion from the recent winter storms and extreme cold temperatures continue to disrupt intermodal service in/out of Chicago and the Northeast. With progress in the Northeast, NS is lifting restrictions on Saturday, February 13 from Atlanta (Inman), GA to Croxton, NJ and from Rossville, TN to Rutherford, PA. J.B. Hunt will resume pickup operations in these lanes on Saturday, February 13. However, without the same level of progress in Chicago, NS has implemented more significant gate restrictions in and out of its 47th Street ramp.
Below is a summary of all gate restrictions currently impacting J.B. Hunt. These restrictions, unless otherwise noted, are expected to limit J.B. Hunt’s ability to pick up shipments through at least Tuesday, February 16. Therefore, customers shipping in the lanes below are strongly encouraged to take advantage of available J.B. Hunt intermodal and highway reroute options.
• BNSF Chicago (Corwith) to Denver, CO; Edgerton, KS; Alliance, TX; Houston, TX; Phoenix, AZ; Barstow, CA; San Bernardino, CA; Stockton, CA; and all KCSM Mexico destinations
• BNSF Chicago (Cicero) to Seattle, WA and Portland, OR
• NS Chicago (47th Street) to Albany, NY; Ayer, MA; Elizabeth, NJ; Morrisville, PA; Bethlehem, PA; Taylor, PA; and Harrisburg, PA including loads that rubber tire crosstown beyond Chicago
• NS Albany, NY; Ayer, MA; Elizabeth, NJ; Morrisville, PA; Bethlehem, PA; Taylor, PA; and Harrisburg, PA to Chicago 47th Street including loads that rubber tire crosstown beyond Chicago
• NS Rossville, TN; Atlanta (Inman), GA; and Jacksonville, FL to Rutherford, PA (The Rossville, TN to Rutherford, PA restriction will be lifted Saturday, February 12)
• NS Kansas City, MO; St. Louis, MO; Toledo, OH; Rossville, TN; Atlanta (Inman), GA; and Charlotte, NC to Croxton, NJ (The Atlanta, GA to Croxton, NJ restriction will be lifted Saturday, February 12)
To expedite the recovery, J.B. Hunt is working with both BNSF and NS to reroute crosstown traffic away from Chicago through alternative gateways. With the current winter weather challenges, velocity slowdown, and gate restrictions, container availability will be impacted throughout the country. With a vast network of service offerings, J.B. Hunt can provide highway solutions to mitigate these intermodal disruptions. A representative will communicate load specific delays along with alternative rail and highway routing options. However, please contact us with any of your transportation needs.
J.B. Hunt will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as they become available. Customer service is extremely important to J.B. Hunt, and we apologize for the inconvenience these service interruptions have caused.