Historic Winter Weather Disrupts Service 021621
The country continues to be impacted by Winter Storm Uri, an unprecedented winter weather event plaguing numerous states including Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, and New Jersey. Due to this weather event’s scale and duration, J.B. Hunt expects a massive and extended disruption to the nation’s supply chain. As all impacted parties work through the turmoil, J.B. Hunt also anticipates the entire supply chain will become very fluid.
While J.B. Hunt drayage fleets in Seattle, WA and Denver, CO have resumed full operations, the following fleets are shutdown or operating at reduced capacity: Portland, OR; Dallas, TX; Houston, TX; Kansas City, MO; St. Louis, MO; Memphis, TN; Chicago, IL; Indianapolis, IN; Toledo, OH; North Baltimore, OH; Columbus, OH; Cincinnati, OH; Cleveland, OH; Buffalo, NY; Albany, NY; Ayer, MA; and Harrisburg, PA. With additional snowfall and extreme temperatures expected to persist in many of these locations throughout the week, the intermodal network recovery could extend through at least Sunday, February 28.
Since Monday, February 15, Chicago has received over a foot of additional snowfall. As a result, the CSX and NS railroads have announced new gate restrictions into Chicago. Effective immediately, CSX has closed ingates at all origin points to Chicago Bedford Park and 59th Street. Effective Wednesday, February 17, NS will close ingates at all origin points to Chicago 63rd Street and Calumet as well as from Jacksonville, FL to Chicago Landers. In addition to the new Chicago restrictions, NS also announced that it will close ingates at all origin points to Kansas City, MO effective Wednesday, February 17.
Due to the current network disruption, BNSF has communicated new gate restrictions for Standard service level shipments out of Los Angeles, CA effective Wednesday, February 17. Considering the new Los Angeles allocations and current winter weather, J.B. Hunt will restrict all Standard service level shipments out of Los Angeles to Houston, TX; Alliance, TX; Edgerton, KS; St. Louis, MO; and Memphis, TN effective Wednesday, February 17.
Below is a summary of all restrictions currently impacting J.B. Hunt and its customers. These restrictions are expected to severely limit J.B. Hunt’s ability to pick up shipments through at least Sunday, February 21. Therefore, customers shipping in the lanes below are strongly encouraged to take advantage of available J.B. Hunt intermodal and highway reroute options.
• BNSF Chicago/Corwith, IL to Denver, CO; Edgerton, KS; Alliance, TX; Houston, TX; Phoenix, AZ; Barstow, CA; San Bernardino, CA; Stockton, CA; and all KCSM Mexico destinations including loads that are received via rubber tire crosstown in Chicago
• BNSF Chicago/Cicero, IL to St. Paul, MN; Seattle, WA; and Portland, OR including loads that are received via rubber tire crosstown in Chicago
• BNSF San Bernardino, CA to all destinations
• BNSF Los Angeles, CA to Houston, TX; Alliance, TX; Edgerton, KS; St. Louis, MO; and Memphis, TN
• NS Chicago/47th Street, IL to Albany, NY; Ayer, MA; Elizabeth, NJ; Morrisville, PA; Bethlehem, PA; Taylor, PA; and Harrisburg, PA including loads that are received via rubber tire crosstown in Chicago
• NS Albany, NY; Ayer, MA; Elizabeth, NJ; Morrisville, PA; Bethlehem, PA; Taylor, PA; and Harrisburg, PA to Chicago/47th Street, IL including loads that rubber tire crosstown beyond Chicago
• NS Croxton, NJ; Rutherford, PA; Charlotte, NC; Jacksonville, FL; and Austell, GA to Rossville, TN
• NS Atlanta, GA; Charlotte, NC; Jacksonville, FL; Rutherford, PA; and Croxton, NJ to KCS Dallas/Wylie, TX (J.B. Hunt is restricting volume in these lanes due to winter weather in the Dallas/Ft Worth area)
• NS Buffalo, NY; Croxton, NJ; Rutherford, PA; Pittsburgh, PA; and Toledo, OH to Chicago/63rd Street, IL including loads that rubber tire crosstown beyond Chicago
• NS Austell, GA; and Charlotte, NC to Chicago/Calumet, IL including loads that rubber tire crosstown beyond Chicago
• NS Jacksonville, FL to Chicago/Landers, IL including loads that rubber tire crosstown beyond Chicago
• NS Croxton, NJ; Bethlehem, PA; Rutherford, PA; Morrisville, PA; Austell, GA; and Jacksonville, FL to Kansas City, MO including loads that rubber tire crosstown beyond Kansas City
• CSX North Bergen, NJ to Indianapolis, IN
• CSX Cleveland, OH; Charlotte, NC; Kearny, NJ; Winter Haven, FL; Syracuse, NY; Chambersburg, PA; Jacksonville, FL; Worcester, MA; Tampa, FL; Philadelphia, PA; and Springfield, MA to Chicago/Bedford Park, IL including loads that rubber tire crosstown beyond Chicago
• CSX Fairburn, GA; Savannah, GA; Baltimore, MD; and Portsmouth, VA to Chicago/59th Street, IL including loads that rubber tire crosstown beyond Chicago
To expedite the recovery, J.B. Hunt continues to work with its rail providers to reroute crosstown traffic away from Chicago through alternative gateways. Over the past week, J.B. Hunt and its rail providers have launched a new steelwheel service between BNSF San Bernardino, CA and select NS points in the Northeast as well as steelwheel service from select NS points in the Northeast to BNSF Stockton, CA. With the current winter weather challenges, velocity slowdown, and gate restrictions, container availability will be impacted throughout the country. J.B. Hunt can provide alternate highway solutions to mitigate these intermodal disruptions. A representative will communicate load specific delays along with alternative rail and highway routing options.
Fleets across the South, Midwest, and Northeast regions of the United States have been slowed by the extreme winter weather. With Winter Storm Viola quickly following the same path as Uri, J.B. Hunt anticipates more disruption across the transportation network in the coming days. Customers should expect a delay in shipments traveling through these regions due to the snow, ice, and sub-zero temperatures.
J.B. Hunt will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as they become available. Customer service is essential to J.B. Hunt, and we apologize for the inconvenience these service interruptions have caused.