Historic Winter Weather Disrupts Service 021521
Historic winter weather continues to disrupt service across the intermodal network. With progress in the Northeast, NS has reopened its gates at Charlotte, NC; St. Louis, MO; Rossville, TN; Kansas City, MO; and Toledo, OH to Croxton, NJ as well as Atlanta, GA and Jacksonville, FL to Rutherford, PA. J.B. Hunt will resume pickup operations in these lanes Monday, February 15.
Unfortunately, progress in processing the backlog of traffic in Chicago was delayed again by snowfall and extreme temperatures over the weekend. Further complicating the recovery, heavy snowfall accumulation is forecast again on Monday, February 15. In addition to Chicago, this historic winter weather event is also significantly slowing or stopping intermodal drayage operations in the following locations: Seattle, WA; Portland, OR; Denver, CO; Dallas, TX; Houston, TX; Kansas City, MO; St. Louis, MO; Memphis, TN; Indianapolis, IN; Toledo, OH; North Baltimore, OH; Columbus, OH; and Cincinnati, OH. With additional snowfall and extreme temperatures expected to persist in many of these locations throughout the week, the intermodal network recovery could extend through at least Sunday, February 28.
Due to the current winter weather and subsequent network congestion, J.B. Hunt is impacted by several new gate restrictions this week. BNSF has implemented restrictions out of San Bernardino, CA effective immediately. NS has closed the gate at all origin points to Memphis/Rossville, TN effective Tuesday, February 16. J.B. Hunt is also restricting volume, effective immediately, into BNSF’s Alliance, TX and KCS’s Dallas/Wylie, TX ramps due to ongoing winter weather in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.
Below is a summary of all restrictions currently impacting J.B. Hunt and its customers. These restrictions are expected to severely limit J.B. Hunt’s ability to pick up shipments through at least Sunday, February 21. Therefore, customers shipping in the lanes below are strongly encouraged to take advantage of available J.B. Hunt intermodal and highway reroute options
• BNSF Chicago/Corwith, IL to Denver, CO; Edgerton, KS; Alliance, TX; Houston, TX; Phoenix, AZ; Barstow, CA; San Bernardino, CA; Stockton, CA; and all KCSM Mexico destinations including loads that are received via rubber tire crosstown in Chicago
• BNSF Chicago/Cicero, IL to St. Paul, MN; Seattle, WA; and Portland, OR including loads that are received via rubber tire crosstown in Chicago
• BNSF San Bernardino, CA to all destinations
• NS Chicago/47th Street, IL to Albany, NY; Ayer, MA; Elizabeth, NJ; Morrisville, PA; Bethlehem, PA; Taylor, PA; and Harrisburg, PA including loads that are received via rubber tire crosstown in Chicago
• NS Albany, NY; Ayer, MA; Elizabeth, NJ; Morrisville, PA; Bethlehem, PA; Taylor, PA; and Harrisburg, PA to Chicago 47th Street including loads that rubber tire crosstown beyond Chicago
• NS Croxton, NJ; Rutherford, PA; Charlotte, NC; Jacksonville, FL; and Austell, GA to Rossville, TN
• NS Atlanta, GA; Charlotte, NC; Jacksonville, FL; Rutherford, PA; and Croxton, NJ to KCS Dallas/Wylie, TX (J.B. Hunt is restricting volume in these lanes due to winter weather in the Dallas/Ft Worth area)
To expedite the recovery, J.B. Hunt is working with both the BNSF and NS to reroute crosstown traffic away from Chicago through alternative gateways. With the current winter weather challenges, velocity slowdown, and gate restrictions, container availability will be impacted throughout the country. We have alternate highway solutions to mitigate these intermodal disruptions. A representative will communicate load specific delays along with alternative rail and highway routing options.
With Storm Uri traveling across the country, we also see an impact on our highway capacity. Fleets across the South, Midwest, and Northeast part of the United States continue to be slowed by Uri. Customers can expect a delay in shipments traveling through these regions as we work through the snow, ice, and sub-zero temperatures.
J.B. Hunt will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as they become available. Customer service is extremely important to J.B. Hunt, and we apologize for the inconvenience these service interruptions have caused.