Historic Winter Weather Disrupts Intermodal and Highway Service 022421
As the country recovers from last week's unprecedented winter weather events, J. B. Hunt continues to work through the backlog of impacted shipments. Based on this event's scope and duration, J.B. Hunt anticipates the entire supply chain will remain very fluid for the next several weeks.
With continued progress processing the backlog of traffic, the NS has communicated several gate restriction updates. Effective immediately, NS gate restrictions have been lifted from Rutherford, PA to Rossville, TN. Effective Thursday, February 25, NS gate restrictions will be lifted from Croxton, NJ; Atlanta/Austell, GA; and Jacksonville, FL to Rossville, TN.
Below is a summary of all rail restrictions currently impacting J.B. Hunt and its customers. These restrictions are expected to severely limit J.B. Hunt’s ability to pick up shipments through at least Friday, February 26. However, considering the current backlog of traffic, a complete intermodal network recovery could extend into mid-March. Therefore, customers shipping in the lanes below are strongly encouraged to take advantage of available J.B. Hunt intermodal and highway reroute options.
- All Standard traffic will be impacted in these lanes including rubber tire crosstowns and excluding steel wheel interchanges:
- BNSF Chicago/Cicero, IL to all destinations
- BNSF Chicago/Corwith, IL to all destinations
- NS Chicago 47th Street, IL to all destinations
- NS Chicago/Calumet, IL to all destinations
- NS Chicago 63rd Street, IL to all destinations
- All NS origin points to NS Chicago 47th Street; 63rd Street; Calumet; and Landers
- From NS Harrisburg, PA to Kansas City, MO expires Thursday, February 25
- From select NS origin points to Memphis/Rossville, TN expires Thursday, February 25
- From Croxton, NJ
- From Atlanta/Austell, GA
- From Jacksonville, FL
- All NS origin points to KCS Dallas/Wylie, TX – J.B. Hunt is self-restricting volume due to the current backlog of traffic
- All Expedited traffic will be impacted in these lanes including rubber tire crosstowns and excluding steel wheel interchanges:
- BNSF Chicago/Willow Springs, IL to all destinations
To expedite the recovery, J.B. Hunt continues to utilize newly developed steel wheel services that bypass the Chicago ramps. In addition, J.B. Hunt has repositioned drivers to impacted locations to increase dray capacity. Considering the current velocity slowdown, equipment imbalances, and gate restrictions, container availability will be impacted throughout the country for the next two to three weeks. However, with a vast network of service offerings, J.B. Hunt can provide highway solutions to mitigate these intermodal disruptions. A representative will communicate load specific delays along with alternative rail and highway routing options.
J.B. Hunt will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as they become available. Customer service is extremely important to J.B. Hunt, and we apologize for the inconvenience these service interruptions have caused.