Historic Winter Weather Disrupts Intermodal and Highway Service 022321
As the country begins to recover from last week's unprecedented winter weather events, J. B. Hunt continues to work through the backlog of impacted shipments. Based on this event's extent and duration, J.B. Hunt anticipates the entire supply chain will remain very fluid for the next several weeks.
After winter weather forced numerous shutdowns last week, all of J.B. Hunt’s dray fleets are once again operating at normal capacity. With progress over the weekend processing the backlog of traffic, several rail restrictions have been lifted across the country. Effective immediately, BNSF has lifted all gate restrictions from Stockton, CA; Los Angeles, CA; San Bernardino, CA; Barstow, CA; and Phoenix, AZ. Effective immediately, CSX has lifted all gate restrictions to Chicago Bedford Park and 59th Street. Effective immediately, NS has lifted gate restrictions from all origin points to the following KCS/KCSM destinations: Dallas/Wylie, TX; Laredo, TX; Salinas Victoria, NL; San Luis Potosi, SL; and Toluca, EM. However, J.B. Hunt will continue to self-restrict from all NS origin points to KCS Dallas/Wylie, TX until more progress is made on the current backlog of traffic. Finally, NS has announced that restrictions to Kansas City, MO will be eased on the following dates: Monday, February 22, from Bethlehem, PA; Tuesday, February 23, from Morrisville, PA; Wednesday, February 24, from Jacksonville, FL and Croxton, NJ; and Thursday, February 25, from Harrisburg, PA.
Below is a summary of all rail restrictions currently impacting J.B. Hunt and its customers. These restrictions are expected to severely limit J.B. Hunt’s ability to pick up shipments through at least Friday, February 26. However, with the current backlog of traffic, a complete intermodal network recovery could extend into mid-March. Therefore, customers shipping in the lanes below are strongly encouraged to take advantage of available J.B. Hunt intermodal and highway reroute options.
- All Standard traffic will be impacted in these lanes including rubber tire crosstowns and excluding steel wheel interchanges:
- BNSF Chicago/Cicero, IL to all destinations
- BNSF Chicago/Corwith, IL to all destinations
- NS Chicago 47th Street, IL to all destinations
- NS Chicago/Calumet, IL to all destinations
- All NS origin points to NS Chicago 47th Street; 63rd Street; Calumet; and Landers
- Select NS origin points to NS Kansas City, MO
- From Morrisville, PA expires Tuesday, February 23
- From Jacksonville, FL and Croxton, NJ expires Wednesday, February 24
- From Harrisburg, PA expires Thursday, February 25
- Select NS origin points to NS Memphis/Rossville, TN
- From Croxton, NJ
- From Rutherford, PA
- From Jacksonville, FL
- All NS origin points to KCS Dallas/Wylie, TX – J.B. Hunt is self-restricting volume due to the current backlog of traffic
- All Expedited traffic will be impacted in these lanes including rubber tire crosstowns and excluding steel wheel interchanges:
- BNSF Chicago/Willow Springs, IL to all destinations
To expedite the recovery, J.B. Hunt continues to utilize newly developed steel wheel services that bypass the Chicago ramps. In addition, J.B. Hunt has repositioned drivers to impacted locations to increase dray capacity. Considering the current velocity slowdown, equipment imbalances, and gate restrictions, container availability will be impacted throughout the country for the next two to three weeks. However, with a vast network of service offerings, J.B. Hunt can provide highway solutions to mitigate these intermodal disruptions. A representative will communicate load specific delays along with alternative rail and highway routing options.
J.B. Hunt will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as they become available. Customer service is extremely important to J.B. Hunt, and we apologize for the inconvenience these service interruptions have caused.