Historic Winter Weather Disrupts Intermodal and Highway Service
The country continues to be impacted by unprecedented winter weather events plaguing numerous states including Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, and New Jersey. Due to the scale and duration of these events, J.B. Hunt expects a massive and extended interruption to the nation’s supply chain that could last for weeks. Capacity will also be impacted as drivers tend to their families and homes. Based on this disruption, J.B. Hunt anticipates the entire supply chain will become very fluid.
J.B. Hunt’s dray fleets in Dallas, TX; Houston, TX; and Memphis, TN remain shut down for the fourth consecutive day. In the meantime, Winter Storm Viola’s heavy snowfall is now forcing fleets to shut down in the Northeast. Dray fleets currently shutdown or operating at reduced capacity due to winter weather include Dallas, TX; Houston, TX; Kansas City, MO; Memphis, TN; Chicago, IL; Toledo, OH; North Baltimore, OH; Columbus, OH; Cincinnati, OH; Pittsburgh, PA; Harrisburg, PA; Chambersburg, PA; Bethlehem, PA; Jersey City, NJ; Morrisville, PA; and Baltimore, MD. With ramp congestion and rail car supply improving in Atlanta, BNSF has lifted the gate restrictions from Atlanta/Fairburn, GA to all destinations. J.B. Hunt will resume pick up operations in these lanes immediately.
Below is a summary of all restrictions currently impacting J.B. Hunt and its customers. These restrictions are expected to severely limit J.B. Hunt’s ability to pick up shipments through at least Monday, February 22. However, with the ongoing winter weather and current backlog of traffic, a complete intermodal network recovery could extend into mid-March. Therefore, customers shipping in the lanes below are strongly encouraged to take advantage of available J.B. Hunt intermodal and highway reroute options.
- All Standard traffic will be impacted in these lanes including rubber tire crosstowns and excluding steel wheel interchanges:
- BNSF Chicago/Cicero, IL to all destinations
- BNSF Chicago/Corwith, IL to all destinations
- BNSF Los Angeles, CA to all destinations
- BNSF San Bernardino, CA to all destinations
- BNSF Barstow, CA to all destinations
- BNSF Stockton, CA to Chicago/Corwith, IL
- BNSF Phoenix, AZ to Chicago/Corwith, IL
- NS Chicago 47th Street to all destinations
- All NS origin points to NS Chicago 47th Street; 63rd Street; Calumet; and Landers
- All NS origin points to NS Kansas City, MO
- All NS origin points to NS Memphis/Rossville, TN
- All NS origin points to the following KCS/KCSM destinations: Dallas/Wylie, TX; Laredo, TX; Salinas Victoria, NL; San Luis Potosi, SL, and Toluca, EM
- CSX North Bergen, NJ to CSX Indianapolis, IN
- All CSX origin points to CSX Chicago Bedford Park and 59th Street
- All Expedited traffic will be impacted in these lanes including rubber tire crosstowns and excluding steel wheel interchanges:
- BNSF Stockton, CA (ER) to Chicago/Willow Springs, IL
To expedite the recovery, J.B. Hunt continues to develop new steel wheel services with its rail providers that bypass the Chicago ramps. In addition, J.B. Hunt is repositioning drivers to impacted locations to increase dray capacity. With the current winter weather challenges, velocity slowdown, and gate restrictions, container availability will be impacted throughout the country. J.B. Hunt can provide alternate highway solutions to mitigate these intermodal disruptions. A representative will communicate load specific delays along with alternative rail and highway routing options.
As Winter Storm Viola continues to traverse the country, J.B. Hunt anticipates more disruption across the transportation network in the coming days. Drivers are currently shut down across parts of Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Pennsylvania as well as the entire states of New Jersey and Virginia. Additional shutdowns will occur this evening in parts of North Carolina, Tennessee, and all of Kentucky. Customers should expect a delay in shipments traveling through these regions due to the snow, ice, and sub-zero temperatures.
J.B. Hunt will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as they become available. Customer service is essential to J.B. Hunt, and we apologize for the inconvenience these service interruptions have caused.