Intermodal Gate Restrictions/Closures
Ramp Congestion Disrupts Intermodal Service
December 18, 2020
Effective immediately, the NS railroad has reopened its gates for shipments to/from Pittsburgh, PA and Buffalo, NY. However, due to Winter Storm Gail’s impact on the Northeast, the NS has implemented new gate closures at its Chicago 47th Street ramp. Effective Thursday, December 17, at 16:00 CST, NS closed ingates at 47th Street to Albany (Mechanicville), NY; Ayer, MA; Taylor, PA; Bethlehem, PA; Harrisburg, PA; and Erail, NJ. Below is a comprehensive list of rail gate restrictions and closures currently impacting J.B. Hunt standard service level shipments.
Gate Restrictions (limited number of shipments allowed to ingate)
• BNSF Los Angeles, CA to all destinations, including interline shipments
• BNSF San Bernardino, CA to all destinations, including interline shipments
• BNSF Chicago (Cicero) to St Paul, MN; Seattle, WA; and Portland, OR, including interline
• BNSF Chicago (Corwith) to Edgerton, KS; Alliance, TX; Houston, TX; Denver, CO; Phoenix, AZ;
Barstow, CA; San Bernardino, CA; Los Angeles, CA; Stockton, CA; and all Mexico destinations,
including interline shipments
Gate Closures (no shipments allowed to ingate)
• NS Chicago (47th Street) to Albany (Mechanicville), NY; Ayer, MA; Taylor, PA; Bethlehem, PA; Harrisburg, PA; and Erail, NJ, including interline shipments
• NS Chicago (63rd Street) to Toledo, OH, including interline shipments
• NS Toledo, OH to Chicago (63rd Street), including interline shipments
As a result of railroad restrictions and closures, J.B. Hunt’s ability to pick up freight in the lanes listed above is expected to be impacted through at least Monday, December 21. J.B. Hunt will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as they become available. Customer service is extremely important to J.B. Hunt, and we apologize for the inconvenience these service interruptions have caused. A J.B. Hunt representative will communicate load specific delays along with alternative rail and highway routing options.